Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Carnaval


It's that time of year again: carnaval.  When everything shuts down for 4 days and people decorate their homes and cars with streamers and balloons and confetti and light firecrackers and throw water balloons and wish for the Pachamama to bless them and their stuff.  We went for a drive today- something we had been waiting to get a truck to do.  We got a truck!  We took it for a drive.  We decided we'd try to find a camp ground we had heard about to see if it would be suitable for our church to have its annual camp there.  We had to take a bit of a scenic route, as the direct one was shut down due to damage done by the rains.  It seems as though a few bridges have been blown out and walls knocked over.  So, we left right after breakfast with the girls strapped in for an adventure.  We didn't know exactly where to go but headed up in the right direction and stopped on the way for a kind man to draw a map for us in the dirt.  
Man drawing route in dirt.
The roads began to get narrower and bumpier and the landscape a bit more like the country.  All around us we heard the familiar "pop!" of fire crackers and saw plenty of small children bearing large water guns.  A few flashed big grins as we drove by and they hosed down our truck with water.  A small, but steady stream wove back and forth from one side of the road to the other, crossing right through the thoroughfare of cars, trucks and donkeys.  At last, we saw a small sign announcing we had found the camp we were in search of.  There was a narrow street running down to the entrance with a small ditch cut through the middle.  Scotty decided to he would back down the street, since there was not even enough space to do a 3-point turn to get our nose in the right direction.  I cringed inside, and maybe a little out, too, but really do trust Scotty's driving ability, as he has proven himself on numerous occasions.  Shortly in, the car lurches and bumps and I'm pretty sure our tire has gone into the ditch.
Oops!
 Yes, it's confirmed.  We pile out and me and the girls head down on foot to find the camp while Scotty waits for some friendly men from the community to help him out with planks.
Pretty place to get stuck in a ditch.
Thankfully, it doesn't take long before he's free and we find someone to let us into the camp grounds.
Jubilee was quite the attraction at the camp.
Taking pictures of our baby-doll baby.
The surroundings were beautiful- I'll start with something positive.  However, I will freely admit that I'm not a "roughin' it" kind of person.  I can do it for a few days, but when you have small (crawling) children, it's different.  I tried to remind myself that there are few options in La Paz and we have to have something big enough for a good sized group as well as economical enough to not exclude anyone in the church.  I'll just say that if the elders decide we'll camp there, I will survive and write to blog about it.  But, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  Anyway, back into the car and bumping down the road pass the group of old, toothless men drinking and enjoying their holiday.  We're all tired now and Natty is making up nonsensical songs and I'm racking my brain to figure out what to make, quickly, for lunch when we get home.  Scotty is still getting over a nasty cold, so everyone but me is quietly in bed and I'm loving the still house and the blue skies we haven't seen for this long at once in weeks.  It sure has been nice to have some days off and one of these free moments I need to get my mind wrapped around finishing up Jubilee's birthday party planning and thinking through a few aspects of my parents' visit next week.  But, for now, I'll enjoy a few moments of calm.

1 comment:

mims said...

Even as I began to read your blog I could feel my tummy begin to tighten up 'cause I knew there was a escapade about to be recounted. All I can say is that Bolivia is probably the best place for Scotty to live because in this country he wouldn't be likely to find helpful fellas with the necessary planks or the willingness to get involved in helping him out of his fixes!! Glad it turned out alright.