Thursday, July 10, 2008

Spiritual Life Conference

I'm finally getting around to posting about our week in Cochabamba- I came back from our trip with a terrible cold that seems to be holding on and have been down for a few days. It was a great time with our SIM mission family- listening to ministry reports, being encouraged through the Word, playing games, eating, sleeping, eating more. There was an amazing team that came in from one of our fellow missionaries churches in MN who took care of the kids all day and the pastor spent time with the adults, sharing a message each morning on strength for the marathon. This was a very applicable topic, as all of us are in this for the long haul and can sometimes lose sight of the finish line or get distracted by things along the way and get off course...or just lose heart and energy and give up because it seems too far to go. It's always an encouragement to hear that others are struggling with some of the same feelings or issues that you are and then to hear the truth of God's Word that keeps us focused on what He has called us to and promises to bring us through and keep us to the end. I think Scotty and I both got so much out of the time each missionary would present his or her ministry and talk about both encouragements and discouragements from the past year. God is doing an amazing work in Bolivia and I am honored to be a part of this work and to serve alongside so many who have dedicated themselves to loving and serving the Bolivian church. One afternoon, we celebrated the 40th anniversary of one couples ministry in Bolivia- can you imagine 40 years overseas in the same place?? That was truly inspiring.
Getting big!!
Another fun event was a triple baby shower. Denise is mother of 10 and due with #11 the same day I am due with baby Miser. Roxanna is a fellow La Paz teammate who had her baby earlier this year, but has not had the chance to enjoy a shower yet. So, all the ladies of SIM got together to throw us a special party and bless our babies with love and presents! It was my first ever baby shower and very special to share it with these ladies who I know have been praying for me. It was also neat to hear the various birth stories of these women, many who have had babies in Bolivia, and I got an overall sense that their experiences were beautiful. I am thinking a lot these days about labor and birth and the baby being here and I have a peace that the Lord is going to grant me a great experience as well.

2 comments:

melissa said...

I'm so glad you have a sense of peace regarding your upcoming birth! It helps to hear HAPPY birth stories. :) Your attitude and ideas about birth will have a huge impact on your own experience - keep reminding yourself that God is a superb architect and He designed your bady to give birth! I know you'll do great, Lisa - you are so strong! :)

melissa said...

Oops, I meant "body".

I also wanted to say, Lisa, you look radiant. You have a beautiful belly. :)