Friday, May 23, 2008

Neighborhood store

If you need a coke or eggs or canned milk or bread or toilet paper- there's usually a small, one room store within a block of anywhere where you might be in La Paz. You can't actually enter the store, but look from the gate and ask for whatever it is you might want, and chances are, if you don't see it, it's hidden somewhere. I love that. This morning I woke up and needed eggs to make a dish for our team meeting- I rolled out of bed, put on my shoes, and headed to the neighborhood store. The lady there knows me and looked like she had also recently gotten out of bed- braiding her long, wet hair and looking a little less than fully awake. She counted out 12 nice little brown eggs for me, I handed over my change and walked back to the house, appreciating the perfect blue skies and quietness of the morning in Mallasilla. All in about 5 minutes. I also thanked God for neighborhood stores.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These stories make me super jealous, but I so appreciate your descriptive writing. It conjures up such clear, sweet memories for me. Thank you, Lisa! :* (Yes I am way behind on reading your blog... again!)