Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Josue turns one!

Our maid Lola came over yesterday for her weekly 2 hours of cleaning at our house and, as usual, brought her cute little boy Josue. She mentioned it was his birthday and I asked if she had any plans with him. She said "no" and I was quite surprised since birthdays are such a big deal here. We were just at a one-year old's birthday party a few weeks ago that had about 100 people attending, a clown hired to entertain the children, and an endless supply of food. It was a big deal! Knowing that Lola doesn't have a good relationship with her family (she lived on the streets for years to get away from them) and no money, I decided I needed to whip something up quick that would at least give them a small celebration for Josue. I made a chocolate cake and iced it, putting sprinkles on top, and hoped the little guy didn't fall asleep before Lola finished working so that he could eat some and I could take some pics. He seemed interested at first in the cake, but turned out to be more into mother's milk than the chocolate. He nibbled on a piece and I sent the rest of the cake home with her to enjoy later, hopefully with friends or family. It was a pleasure to do this for Lola, a woman we are really hoping to create a close relationship with and help her continue on in the good steps she has taken since Josue was born.

3 comments:

undergroundcrowds said...

what a cute little boy.

beth said...

Once in Kenya, when I found out when our house helper's birthday was, I asked her what kind of cake she'd like to have. She'd never had a birthday cake before and I thought she'd say chocolate or something like that. She immediately answered that she wanted an airplane, having seen the cake I made for Thomas for his birthday. So, that's what she got...and she was thrilled. I've never seen an adult so excited about a kid-style shaped cake. It was delightful. I'm sure your house helper was so pleased with your thoughtfulness.

Anonymous said...

Totally adorable photo, Lisa. I called Lola today and we were both so happy to get to talk to each other again. She was thrilled that you took the photo of Josue and made his birthday special. Thank you for impacting her life and being someone who she trusts and who makes her feel loved.