Thursday, August 16, 2007

I love dating my husband.

This is where I would love to go for date night, but I'm afraid no ocean access limits that option a bit. But, we did have a nice time last night participating in the only date night opportunities La Paz has to offer: dinner and a movie. For such a large, cosmopolitan city, there is a severe lack of interesting things to do. There are a few decent hikes, but those aren't appropriate for an evening date. There are sometimes dance or cultural shows at local theatres, but those are few and far between, and poorly advertised. So, Scotty and I are trying to sample every local restaurant in the city that fits our criteria: good food, moderate price, fun/interesting atmosphere. Last night we headed toward our old stomping grounds, the neighborhood of Sopocachi, because they boast a wide variety of yummy places to eat. We've heard about an Asian restaurant that serves food from China, Indonesia, and Thailand and thought that would be a nice change. And it well exceeded our demands for good food, price (it was a little more than we would usually pay, but still only $15 for a very nice meal), and fantastic atmosphere. I pretty much wanted to try everything on the menu, which is tough for an indecisive person like myself, but definitely good when you want to come back to experience more. We always get a kick out of how late everyone eats here, often being the first person in the restaurant (at 7pm!) with just a few more trickling in as we're leaving. The second part of our dates almost always includes renting a movie from our rental store where we're pretty sure we've seen everything that is worth watching. Last night we picked one up called "My Life Without Me". We usually will not rent movies that we haven't first researched to make sure they are both appropriate and highly rated (www.rottentomatoes.com), but this one sounded intriguing and had won many awards at various festivals, so we decided to go for it. It was a well done movie, focusing on developing one or two characters in particular, which Scotty and I enjoy in a flic. The premise was a 23- year old, mother of two, in a great marriage, living in a trailer, working as a janitor, finds out she's got 2 months to live. She chooses not to tell anyone and makes a list of all the things she wants to do before she dies. I must admit I was a bit depressed by the end of the movie, mostly because it exemplified what a life and death without the hope of Christ looks like. All her decisions were selfish and made with the thought that those last 2 months were all she had and so she should do all the "bad" things she's always wondered about, but never done. There were many thought-provoking moments and I really did enjoy the movie for what it was, as well as get a good look into the mind of a non-believer. I came away praising God for the hope I have in Him that this life is not all we have and, in fact, is not about us at all; thankful that my spouse is alive and healthy; and wondering how I might live if I knew these could be my last days. That is challenging!

1 comment:

Laura said...

hey! this is cousin laura :)

i just wanted to say that i love rottentomatoes.com too! haha