Friday, November 10, 2006

Open mouth, insert foot...

I had one of those moments last night where you think to yourself, "what am I saying??". We met with our church planting team for our bi-monthly dinner/prayer time and I was well bundled because of the prevailing cool temps brought in by the rain. At one point I was attempting, without success, to take off my jacket, which was stuck to my shirt. After fumbling for a few seconds and feeling quite helpless, I asked Scotty for assistance. Then, for some inexplicable reason, I said "This is why I got married, so my husband could help me take off my cloth..." Uhhhhhh....(Face turning red) I stopped talking just in time for everyone in the room to understand what I was about to say. Thankfully, instead of the piercing, awkward silence, everyone had a good chuckle, and I chalked it up to breaking the tension that we've felt a bit upon our entrance into the group. The night turned out well, several of the families were not able to make it, which actually gave us the chance to have more personal conversations with the others. Dinner is eaten here pretty late by our standards, and it seems to be even later than normal on these nights, as there is much talking and sharing before making it to the dinner table. I gulped down one fairly greasy hamburger at about 10pm and was satisfied, but the other tradition of coercing guests to eat more than they typically would won out over my comfort, and I was persuaded to eat another. Finishing the meal off with 2 glasses of extremely bright pink, thick, sugary fruit juice, and I was set.

Before the meeting began, we took a couple on the team out to survey the apartment we are interested in. They fell in love as fast as we did and without another thought, we agreed to rent! That was definitely the fastest important decision/binding contract I've ever made, but we are trusting this to be the Lord's provision for us. We're so pumped! The team agreed they'd help us move the first week of December- another fantastic opportunity to get to know them on a more informal level. God is answering our prayers left and right and in ways that are so obvious to us.

Today started out with our neighbors blaring Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 (why, I ask??) and holds much promise for Spanish classes, signing our rent contract, finally getting our vehicle inspection, and working on our newsletter in between. The sun is shining for the first time in several days and we are feeling blessed to be alive.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

HA! That's funny. I'm sure it went a long way to break any tension! Don't feel bad...we've all done it.

I'm so glad you're renting that place! What fun!

Anonymous said...

HEY MISERS HOW IS IT GOING SOUNDS LIKE YOU ALL ARE SETTLING IN FAST. I LOVE THE APT . IT LOOKS SO WARM AND COZY. THANKS FOR THE CARD WE RECEIVED FROM YOY ALL. HOPE THAT YOU ARE RECEIVING SOME OF THE EMAILS I HAVE FORWARDED TO YOU ALL FROM ERIN. KEEP HER AND HER PARTNER EMILY IN YOUR PRAYERS. LOVE YOU GUYS, MARK AND PUNKIE

Annette said...

praise God for easy decisions! I'm sure you'll love your new home. blessings to you -- i'm in Philly at a great CCEF conference this weekend!

Dee Lanier said...

O my gosh, It's been a while since I've laughed so hard!! We miss you guys, and are grateful to hear of the good reports.

Anonymous said...

You guys are too funny! I can't imagine the excitement (or is that bewilderment?) of waking up to Dolly. And the new pad looks awesome! Thanks for the Nov. newsletter--glad you are getting settled in! We're praying for you!