Friday, November 24, 2006

Food and friends

Oh, Thanksgiving...a day for remembering all the amazing things God has done for us, and sharing time with friends. This day holds special memories for Scotty and me since we met 3 years ago at a missionary Thanksgiving dinner. The following year we spent the day together with Scotty's SIM team, and the next, we were married and spent the day with both sets of parents. Yesterday, a new tradition was started- Lisa cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the church-plant team. This was probably my first time cooking anything for Thanksgiving, much less the entire meal for a group of 14. I had a friend pick up our 26lb. turkey on Monday and send it to me in a taxi (I've never received a turkey in a taxi before). It spent the next few days thawing and spreading bloody, turkey germs to various other food products in my refrigerator. When the big day came, I had already planned out the menu and found recipes adjusted to serve 20 (thinking more of the team was going to make it). Our great friends, John and Michelle, came over to help us set up and get the turkey prepared for the long bake ahead. From sun-up to way past sun-down, we were on our feet cooking and cleaning and organizing the house. As is custom, the meeting started at 8, the last couple arriving at 9:30. This was one time I was not bothered by people showing up late, because the turkey decided it needed 7 hours to cook instead of 5...we blame everything on the altitude here. Finally at 10pm, we sat down to a classic Thanksgiving dinner that I had poured all my energy into, wanting out team to experience the day as we would at home. Thankfully, the food was pretty good and we loved sharing traditions and the history of the holiday with this group of new friends, feeling like they are becoming closer to us. We said our good-byes around 12pm, sending everyone off with a plate of food, did a little more cleaning in the kitchen, and fell into bed exhausted near 1am. I am thankful that God gave us the energy to make it through the day and bless our team with a good evening. I am thankful for a husband who loves and serves me, stopping to pray with me before I had a melt-down when realizing the turkey was not close to done when I thought it would be. I'm very thankful for all the friends in other places who will be reading this and thinking fondly of us- we are thinking fondly of you, wishing we could be with each of you that we love so much.



5 comments:

Annette said...

your dinner and fixings look terrific, Lisa... happy thanksgiving from minneapolis.....

beth said...

Congratulations on your first self cooked Thanksgiving dinner. I know your team was blessed by all your efforts. Everything looked beautiful in your home with the tables, flowers, etc. Way to go, Lisa! We're thankful for you and Scotty.

Anonymous said...

PUNKIE SAID; WAY TO GO LISA, EVERYTHING LOOKED BEAUTIFUL IN YOUR HOME AND I AN SO PROUD OF YOU THAT YOU UNDERTOOK SUCH A BIG TASK RIGHT FROM THE START. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH THE BOTH OF YOU AND I THINK OF YOU OFTEN. I REALLY LOVE READING YOUR BLOG AS IFEEL BETTER ABLE TO PRAY FOR YOUR NEEDS. PLEASE PRAY FOR ERIN AS SHE IS SUFFERING AGAIN FROM PARASITES AND SKIN INFECTIONS. LOVE TO YOU BOTH. HAPPY JOYFUL THANKSGIVING .

Unknown said...

TWENTY-SIX POUNDS??!! Wow, Lisa, way to go!
I'm sure everyone was blessed by your efforts. What a great time!

the johnson crew said...

lisa! good job on making thanksgiving dinner for all those people. you are brave! i would have definately had a melt down.

janelle