Monday, July 24, 2006

Fun with floods and plane tickets



Johnny and Laura Mitchell invited us to our first pool party of the summer on Saturday night where we enjoyed cute kids, good conversation, and beautiful weather...until about 9:45pm.
After driving through high winds and lightning, we came home to find two rivers of water gushing out of the corners of our bedroom window. Scotty and I proceeded to scoop water out of the sill with cups and try to construct the storm windows in such a way that would cause the water to repel out instead of in onto our wood floors. We had requested a couple months ago that the leaves be cleaned out of our roof drains, but didn't realize that this was never done until the evidence spilled itself into our bedroom. After filling and dumping our 5 gallon bucket a few times with water, Scotty managed to get the windows in a good position and the rain finally slacked enough to stop the flood. I couldn't help but wonder what type of fun experiences we will have like this in Bolivia, but without the expediency of a well-paid matinence staff...

Speaking of Bolivia, I bought our plane tickets today, and our official departure date is Monday, October 2nd! 10 weeks!!! Whoa...is it really possible that in 10 weeks, we will have said good-bye to friends and family, gotten rid of most of our stuff, packed all our belongings in 4 suitcases, under 50lbs each (yeah, right), and be stepping off a plane in La Paz, Bolivia? The reality of all of that hits a little more each day and leaves me feeling excited, scared, but ready for the adventure.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww, I just got a little lump in my throat reading that you have a departure date. Sniff.

I am so sorry aobut the water in your apartment! What a way to spend a (late) Saturday night!

Nicole said...

OH NO! This is the first I've heard about the water! I'm so sorry!!

And I refuse to talk about October!

Anonymous said...

"Water Water everywhere and not a drop to drink"

I don't know why that came to mind but it did.