Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Day 21: Ferry boats.


When you drive to Copacabana on Lake Titicaca, there is a point at the straights of Tiquina where you need to drive your car onto a ferry to shuttle across the water to the other side.  For many years, the government has wanted to build a bridge across because the distance really isn't very far and it would greatly improve the experience of the many tourists who travel there on a daily basis.  But, the community has strongly opposed the idea, as ferry boat operator is the main income of many families in that town.  These ferries are a sight to behold.  They look like they've been slapped together out of old boards that were found in a scrap heap and don't even have a solid bottom for the car to drive onto.  There are slats that run horizontally that hold a couple long planks that run vertically for the cars and buses to drive onto.  They usually squeeze on three cars or one bus and one car and every time you hold your breath as you watch this wonder occur.  How they don't sink is a mystery to me.  I had to drive up onto one of those things by myself one time and I might have aged a few years in the process.  Especially because when you reach the other side, you have to back off of those planks onto the other narrow, movable ones that connect your ferry with land. 

We love to get out of the car when we puttering across and get whipped in the face by the frigid wind.  At that point, I'm guessing we're at least 13,000 ft. above sea level, so it's always cold.  You can feed the ducks and sea gulls if you have some bread with you and take in the general splendor.  My favorite part is watching the man who operates the boat grab his bucket and start bailing out the water that he's taken on over the course of the day.  One has to question where that water is coming from and if at some moment the entry point of that water isn't going to burst open resulting in a very cold swim.

Why am I telling you all this about the ferries?  Well, some of you may be wondering after a few slightly despairing blogs I wrote how I am doing.  It's a cheesy analogy, but I feel sometimes like that ferry boat.  I'm in good working order, even though a few minor repairs have to be made along the way.  Sometimes I'm taking on water again, at risk of maybe starting to sink, but I pick up the bucket and start tossing the water and continue moving forward.  Mostly, by God's grace, His peace is once again reigning in my heart and mind and He leads me one foot at a time while we continue to walk by faith and not by sight.  We're still not sure where the boat is going, but we know we'll get there OK.

No comments: