Monday, January 29, 2018

Travelling lightly.

The explosion of luggage when we got home.
We recently took a holiday trip to the U.S. and got some stuff.  What can I say?  It'd been a year and a half since our last trip and we needed/wanted a few new things.  And, it was Christmas.  We received presents and gave presents to each other.  So, 5 people's worth of stuff adds up.  Needless to say, we had 7 bulging suitcases, carry-ons for everyone and 3 little people in tow.  I had to make sure that I rented a car to drive to the airport that would be big enough to hold us and our junk.  We had to figure out how to wheel that luggage, push that stroller, and keep those kids in check from one end of Miami International to the other.  It was not easy.  Especially since we haven't invested in those awesome new-fangled suitcases that have wheels that will turn any which way you so desire.  Trust me- that is on my list of things to buy next time we're in the U.S.  All this to say, I see that there are definite benefits to travelling light!

Thomas a Kempis said, "They travel lightly whom God's grace carries."  I read that and immediately imagined my family hauling mountains of luggage through MIA.  Me with several (heavy) carry on bags over my shoulders and pushing a cheap stroller whose wheels don't cooperate.  Natty and Scotty trying to drive two over-loaded baggage carts, accidentally bumping into people who get in the way.  And Jubilee, receiving the wrath and frustration of the rest of us for lagging behind.  God has been speaking to me about grace in this last year.  His gentle reminders when I lack it- for myself and others.  His kind and loving promises that He wants to extend more toward me if I would just accept it.  I'm afraid my life often looks like that scene from the airport.  I've packed a bunch of suitcases full of merit- feeling useful to people around me, shining in the compliment given to me about one thing or another, seeing success and growing maturity in my kids that makes me feel like a good parent.  These are all nice things, of course, and none evil in and of itself.  However, I have often collected all these things in hopes that they will build me up and sustain me.  But, when I see a flaw in my kids or realize I blew it in a relationship, it all crumbles.  And I begin to question myself and why I can't pull it together and how I could fail so many times!  Where is the grace??  How I long to live as a light traveler...being carried by God's grace.  Not dragging behind me all my merits and good deeds.  To recognize on a daily basis what scripture tells us that we are no longer condemned and free from the law of sin and death. And how amazing it would be to have so digested and been nourished by this truth that I would naturally extend this grace to my family and those around me.  Here's to the journey...

No comments: