Thursday, June 06, 2013

Ten years.

Trying new Bolivian food with new roomies and new friends.

This week I celebrate 10 years of being in Bolivia.  Although it doesn't feel as exciting as a birthday or Christmas, I want to take time to reflect on all that the Lord has taught me and His faithfulness over this last decade.  I arrived in Cochabamba, Bolivia the first week of June, 2003.  I immediately started 3 weeks of training with my sending organization, Food for the Hungry, and met my 3 lovely new roommates.  I got my first taste of La Cancha, an enormous, stinky, amazing market where you can find just about anything there is to be found and then some.  I spent a lot of time there my first couple years in Bolivia and bought a whole new wardrobe there (which my mom pointed out at one time during a visit home was made up of "ratty" clothes).  I learned Spanish, I learned that I'm not very self-directed, I met a wonderful friend who challenged my Biblical understanding of life, I had lots of girl-time with my roomies, I met and fell in love with my future husband and I started to grow roots in Bolivia.  It wasn't long upon arriving to this new world that I felt I could happily stay forever.  Most people have a honeymoon phase when moving to a new country, and this was no exception, but there was also a real confirmation that God had plans for me here.  Fast forward a few years and I return married to Scotty, in a new city (La Paz) and ready for a new chapter.  This chapter has brought joy, sorrow, life, death and much grace.  I've made some very special friends here and said good-bye to many of them.  I've grown more sure in my faith while being challenged to the very core of that faith.  Through all of it, I've seen repeatedly a faithful Savior who loves me and my family and longs for His own glory through every situation He's allowed in our lives.  When I first arrived, I was a learner, soaking up everything I could with regards to the culture, the language, the people, the country.  Now, it is all so familiar and there is so little that surprises me that I think I've plateaued a little in that learning.  I'd like to return.  My Spanish is good, but it could be so much better.  Just as in my walk with Christ, I want to continue growing in my understanding of Bolivia and learn to appreciate the life I live here more each year.  God is at work here in a big way and I am thankful He's letting me and my family be a part of that.  Here's to the next 10 years...

1 comment:

mims said...

A very good summary, Lisa, and so much left unsaid - what you have already experienced could fill pages and pages and, to take lyrics from a song, you've "only just begun". Thanks for loving and marrying our Scotty and becoming our other daughter - we love you very much.