Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Funny comments

There are some things people in the states will typically not say to you without apologizing later for being so rude. Here, these comments are harmless and meant as a casual observation and nothing to be embarassed about. They usually are directed to women and they usually refer to your weight. My favorite of late is from my neighbor downstairs- our landlady and surrogate Bolivian mom:

Hortensia coming out her front door as I'm coming in: Hi Lisa! How are you?
Me: Good! How are you Hortensia?
Hortensia: Everything's great! You look fatter, are you pregnant?
Me (chuckling on the inside): Yes. I am.
Hortensia: Praise be to God! Make sure you take care of yourself!!

Would you ever consider voicing those thoughts to your neighbor? I was not at all offended, being now used to the "you're getting fatter" comments that both men and women make to each other. But, I did get a good laugh out of it as I was walking upstairs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is funny!!!
And no, I would never expect to hear it from an adult, but my children say it ALL THE TIME, USUALLY IN PUBLIC.

We still have a ways to go with the whole "tact" thing....

Spirit of Adoption said...

A different culture, indeed! Glad you were able to take it in stride, besides....it's ALL baby!!! And that, is a GREAT thing! : )

Anonymous said...

Cute! Thanks for sharing that little cultural glimpse ... just in time for me to use it Sunday when we show your videos at FPC.

undergroundcrowds said...

sounds very Indian. Americans have their feelings on their sleeve. One time John said to my Aunt "You seem to be eating more."- then he got the "you did not just say that" look from his wife. He didn't think he was being rude.