Wednesday, April 04, 2007



No, this is not a reference to my husband (although he is a bottom-of-the-toothpaste-tube-squeezer), but a fairly hilarious sign we saw outside of a store we were in the other day. The advertisement should say "Super Canal" which is cable TV programming. We had a good laugh.
Tuesday was Scotty's birthday and I had plans to celebrate all day. It all started with a waffle breakfast- definitely one of his favorite ways to start the day. I had a picnic planned, with one of my favorite dishes, quinoa and black beans, for a great overlook in Sopocachi near where we used to live. Unfortunately, it was raining when we got there. Not to be daunted, we decided to party in the car, busting out the Superman Returns plates and cups, and enjoying a yummy meal.

Afterwards, we snuggled into a cozy corner of Alexander's Coffee shop to read and eat a nice apple coffee cake I made, which I accompanied with quiet singing of "Happy Birthday", so the rest of the patrons didn't gawk. We took in a Bolivian flick, which we were thrilled to understand all of, although the rest of the movie wasn't much to comment on. A tour of a few art galleries and some walking around followed, ending with a great dinner at a small, local place we used to frequent when we lived nearby. It was a joy to celebrate the life of the man God has blessed me with as my husband.

Tonight, we took a walk around the neighborhood and ran into a little girl whose parents we just met a few days ago. She chatted away with me while we looked at a potential piece of property we could be interested in buying and then left her, only to run into the maid that works downstairs in our building. We love Margarita and her great sense of humor and were pleased the she decided to come with us on our walk. We had great conversation and I feel like there will be many more opportunities to spend more time together. I've shared an interest in learning how to cook Bolivian food and so she is ready and willing to have me come downstairs some day and watch her prepare lunch (the big meal of the day). We'll see what God does!

8 comments:

beth said...

Happy Birthday, Scotty. Lisa, it sounds like you planned a wonderful day. You two are the best at birthday and other celebrations!

Unknown said...

Hey Scotty, it is such a bummer that we missed your birthday this year! Anyway, glad to hear you made it to Alexander's and had a great day together with Lisa. We miss you guys!
-John

Unknown said...

That sign is funny. I would have laughed, too. I'm sure my children will call me that someday soon.
Happy Birthday, Scotty!! Your day sounded great...what a wonderful wife you have. :-)

Nicole said...

Happy happy birthday, Scotty! I was just thinking a week or so ago about how our small group celebrated birthdays for two weeks straight about this time last year! Miss you guys so much!!!!!!!!

undergroundcrowds said...

sounds like a great time. property huh? man, that's like getting married over here. You can't sell it for 10 years without a HUGE tax.

Happy Birthday, man!

amanda said...

Happy Birthday from me, too, Scotty ... a bit late. :(

Like Nicole, I was remembering all of our socializing about this time last year. What fun we all had with you guys! I thought of you many times just this week because I was remembering that claymation Easter Story we watched (the name of it escapes me) and those "forward-wise" baptisms. =-) Enjoy your Resurrection Sunday!
Missing you,

Amanda

ML said...

Happy (very late) Birthday, Scotty! It sounds like you had a special day, filled with thoughtful and memorable activities (way to go, Lisa!)...May this next year of your life be filled with reminders of God's amazing grace to you and may that grace continue to shine through you to others. Love from all us Malleys :'> :* :,)

Dee Lanier said...

sounds like a great birthday! and, lisa, you are so gracious and loving to others as you describe the unexpected visitors in your day. it's such evidence that you guys belong there giving your lives to others. i probably would have to deal with my heart about my plans being changed because i AM the definition of that sign! ha!
love you guys!
stacey